Social Media becomes a part of our personal life as well as business promotion. Most of the MNC’s recruiting their job candidates based on the social media recommendations (Especially from LinkedIn). Apart from this, The information sharing through Blogs and social network sites are increasing every day. Here is a infographic to clearly understand our dependency on Social Media
According to Kaplan and Haenlein there are Six different types of social media:
- Collaborative projects (e.g. Wikipedia)
- Blogs and micro-blogs (e.g. Twitter)
- Content communities (e.g. YouTube)
- Social networking sites (e.g. Facebook)
- Virtual game worlds (e.g. World of Warcraft)
- Virtual social worlds (e.g. Second Life). technologies include: blogs, picture-sharing, vlogs, wall-postings, email, instant messaging, music-sharing,crowd-sourcing, and voice over IP, to name a few.
Facts behind the Growth of Social Media ( 2011) Courtesy: Search Engine Journal
- Social Media Market Share : Facebook – 63.46%, YouTube – 20.5% and Twitter – 1.15% only
- YouTube: 1 in 4 Americans watches a video every day
- 53% of the employers research their job candidates on social networks
- If Facebook were a country it would be world’s 3rd largest after China and India.
- 49% of the Twitter users are inactive.
- Wikipedia’s growth by 21% when compare to 2010.
- 75% of Brand “Facebook likes” comes from advertisements
[ Infographic courtesy of SEJ.]